Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Chicken with Avocado Salsa - Cayenne-Rubbed

For Christmas my mom got us a subscription to Everyday Food, a Martha Stewart food magazine. Anyway, when the first issue came in the mail, it had all these Heart Healthy Avocado recipes, which made me a little nervous because my husband can be a picky eater. I decided to go ahead and try this one, and it was a HUGE hit with the HUBBY! So I encourage everyone to try it!


Serves: 4 Prep Time: 10 min Total Time: 30 min


Ingredients:
Salt and pepper
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
4 Boneless, skinless Chicken breast halves (thaw if frozen)
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 md Red Onion, finely diced
2 TBSP Lime Juice (they sell it in the same isle as the Lemon Juice)
1 Avocado, pitted and cut into chunks


Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and cayenne; rub all over chicken
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken, and cook until browned on the outside and opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
  3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine onion and lime juice; set aside. Just before serving, fold avocado chunks into onion mixture; season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken topped with salsa.

If you choose a good avocado the peal will easily come off after you've cut it in half from top to bottom. When choosing an avocado it should be firm, but squeezable.

I should have diced each of them a bit more finely, but it was my first time.

You can see the Cayenne, salt and Pepper mixture rubbed on top of it.

Browning the Chicken

Finished product. I served it with
Chicken flavored Rice and corn.

5 comments:

TK said...

wowa that looks so good! I love AVOCADOS! So glad your enjoying the subscription!
Love,
Mom

KK said...

yummy can't wait to try it! How do youknow how to pic a good avocado?

Anonymous said...

This looks fabulous!! Hopefully, Mom and I can try to make it!

love,
britt

TK said...

I like them a little firm, but not to firm, yet not mushy!

DD said...

The magazine she sent us has a whole page on how to pic one! I really love the subscription!